I am passionate about business, technology, and leadership.
I believe in the dignity of the person – that all people are innately worthwhile. My leadership style and approach to business are shaped by this belief. I blog at the intersection of these passions, sharing my thoughts and the lessons I learn.
I try to share something new at least three or four times per week. You can stay on top of my latest posts by subscribing to my RSS feed or email updates.
I started my company (3Pillar) by accident.
I never intended to be a CEO. In the early days I was an independent contractor, providing product management, product architecture, and software engineering services. My intent in starting the firm was simply to have the opportunity to pick the products I worked on and the people I worked with.
I am passionate about building truly innovative products, the type that change the way we live and work. I wanted to have the opportunity to find those types of ideas and help assemble teams that could deliver on the promise. I figured being independent would afford me the best opportunity to have that flexibility.
It turns out I was wrong. Through a series of fortunate events I built a boutique consultancy without even thinking about it.
I’ll never forget that “Aha!” moment when I realized that I had six employees. It hit me like a ton of bricks that I was now responsible for feeding all of those families. That realization came in early 2008. It was the day that changed my life.
Five years later, in the spring of 2013, 3Pillar had 100 times as many employees. We’re still growing, and most importantly, I’m still having a blast.
More importantly than my business success, I am a husband and a father.
Sometimes I’m not a very good one, but I try really hard. As a passionate entrepreneur and certified workaholic, I’m learning to be self-disciplined, live an integrated life, and manage all of these responsibilities. I coach baseball, run carpools, and love spending time with my kids. Luckily, I have a saint for a wife.
I believe that every person has been given a unique set of gifts and talents. I believe that these talents are to be used, to the greatest extent possible, for God’s glory. My gifts happen to be in leadership, strategy, and business building. I happen to know the Tech, Media, and Education sectors fairly well.
I feel called to be in the world, but not of the world, using my success and the way I go about it, to change the world. I probably won’t preach at you, but I also won’t hide who I am.
Here are a few interesting facts about me.
- I have lived all over the world. Growing up in a military home, I moved throughout the United States and world as I grew up, moving 11 times between birth and graduation from high school.
- I started my first company at the age of 19. DeWolf Productions produced and sold 2 Christian Praise albums in the late 90s. I did fairly well with the business – it afforded me a few dates, an engagement ring and my honeymoon. I learned a lot from the experience.
- I’m a technologist at heart. Before starting 3Pillar and moving to the business side of technology, I spent many late nights and early mornings writing open source software.
- I am passionately Catholic. While I love business, I consider myself, first, a Christian. I feel called to be in the world, but not of the world. My vocation is business. I probably won’t preach at you, but, I strive to always live an integrated life.
- I am always seeking mentors. I love to learn from others and I enjoy meeting entrepreneurs and executives that I can look up to and learn from. The mentors I’ve found are a big part, if not the single most important part, of my success. I’ve had them through every stage of my career.
I am the founder and CEO of 3Pillar Global, one of the countries fastest growing private companies according to Inc. for 7 of the past 8 years. In this role I have guided 3Pillar to a leadership position within the Digital Product Development Services sector, establishing 3Pillar as the go-to-innovator for content, information, and data rich companies looking to grow revenue through software.
I am passionate about software product innovation, entrepreneurship and principled leadership. I am an active member of the business and technology communities in Northern Virginia. I sit on multiple boards, am a member of YPO and Legatus, and a graduate of Mindshare, a forum of CEOs of the D.C. area’s most promising technology companies. I am an angel investor in various software startups and enjoy providing leadership advisory services to entrepreneurial companies and philanthropic organizations.
I was named one of SmartCEO Magazine’s “Future 50” and in 2011 was recognized by the Washington Business Journal as one of Washington D.C.’s 40 under 40. In 2010 I was selected as the Franciscan University of Steubenville’s Outstanding Young Alumni.
I’m honored to serve on the Board of Trustees of the Franciscan University and previously held advisory positions with iMPACT Ventures and Verdant Strategies. I also sat on the Development Advisory Committee of the Franciscan Sisters of the 3rd Order Regular.
Before founding 3Pillar, I was a Principal at Digital Focus where I oversaw the development of custom software solutions. I have consulted for a wide variety of businesses, from Fortune 500 companies to startups. I earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from the Franciscan University of Steubenville where I studied Communications and Theology. My wife, Teresa, and I have six children.